(Updates will be included on this post over the course of the program. Any updates will also be announced on our Facebook page.)
Sign-Ups begin June 14th through July 2nd.
The Keyser-Mineral County Public Library is excited to announce the start of our 2021 Summer Reading Program. This year’s theme is Tails & Tales! So, we’ll be doing some interesting animal-related activities this year, as well as some old favorites. Upon signing your child up, they will receive a copy of the program instructions and a reading log (all three documents are available for download at the end of this post).
- Our Summer Reading Program is open to children ages 3 – 12. Young children, who are still learning to read, can be read to be an older child or an adult.
- Fill out your Reading Log with the Title of the book you’ve read, as well as the date you read it, how many pages it was, and how much time it took you to read it.
- For every HOUR that you read, you can earn a small prize, which you can pick from our Prize Wagon. You can earn up to 5 small prizes. You can also choose one of our animal cards to color and put your name on with the amount of hours you’ve read. We’ll hang it up in our children’s section!
- Once you’ve read for a total of 5 hours and earned all 5 prizes, you’ll automatically earn a T-shirt.
- That’s not all! For every HOUR that you read, you will also get to fill out a ticket to be put into a drawing of your choice. There will be 6 drawings for some much bigger prizes!
- Total reading times will need to be turned into library staff by 1pm on July 23rd.
- There will be four events (details pending).
- We’ll have our Closing Picnic & Awards on July 28th (more details to follow).
Our SRP Kick Off Party will be June 23rd, 2021.
Our Summer Reading Kick Off Party is almost here! Mark your calendars for June 23rd from 11am – 1pm. We’ll be out at the West End Park (located between Parkside Dr., White St, E St. & Arnold St.) in Keyser. We’ll have JTF’s Backyard Games for the duration of the party, so be ready for some big fun with Snookball, Over-sized Connect 4, Over-sized Checkers, Cornhole, Ping Pong, and Box Hockey. Packed lunches will be provided by Food for Thought of the Mineral County Family Resource Network.
We’re back out at the West End Park (located between Parkside Dr., White St, E St. & Arnold St.) in Keyser on June 30th, 2021, from 10am-12pm. Don’t wear your good clothes, because we’ll be getting messy with stamp, bubble, and splatter painting!
THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED DUE TO THE HEAT. The temperature is supposed to be in the 90s, and we’d rather not risk anyone getting overheated or anything else. We hope to have a makeup date for this event. Stay tuned!
The Keyser-Mineral County Public Library will be holding an Animal Games event at West End Park in Keyser, WV, from 10am-12pm on July 7th, 2021. There will be sack races, chicken egg races, a fishing game, and safari animal bingo! There will be small prizes and packed lunches for the kids!
The Keyser-Mineral County Public Library is collaborating with Susan Parker of the WV Department of Environmental Protection for this event that features activities all about nature and environment. We’ll be making seed bombs, bug hotels, and recycled water bottle fish! This event is July 14th from 10am-12pm.
Good news! We’ve found an inside location for our Summer Reading event this week! We’ll be at the Lifestyle Fitness Center this Wednesday (July 14th) from 10am-12pm!
The Keyser-Mineral County Public Library is hosting a Pet Expo event. Kids are invited to adopt a plush cat or dog with a certificate and goodie bag. We’ll have one of the vets from Mountainview Veterinary Services coming in to talk about real pet care and answer all of the pet-related questions kids think of.
We have an inside location for this event. We’ll be at The Indie on Main Art House July 21st from 11am-12pm!
We’re back at the West End Park for our Closing Picnic & Awards for the close of our Summer Reading Program. It’ll open with some games from our cancelled Animal Games events. After we eat, we’ll have our awards and draw the winners for our bigger prizes. The event starts at 6pm and goes until we’re done!